Epoxy is a coating that can give your garage floor a nice, clean feel. An epoxy coating needs to be installed correctly to prevent it from peeling or bubbling. To ensure it is installed correctly, you can hire a professional to do this work for you. Read on for instructions to properly install epoxy flooring.
What You'll Need:
- Epoxy floor coating
- Long-handled roller
- Painter's tape
- Concrete cleaner
- Garden hose
- Scrub brush
- To start, you're going to need to clean your garage flooring thoroughly. You need all dirt to be removed and all grease or oil left on the garage floor to be cleaned up as well. Anything left on the floor could react with the epoxy floor coating and could cause it to bubble and peel. Sweep the garage floor and scrub it with a floor cleaner to clean it all. Get all dirt along the walls removed as well and allow the floor to dry if you've needed to get it wet.
- Once your floor is clean and dry, you can start painting on the epoxy paint. You need to mix the epoxy paint according to the manufacturer's instructions. If you are adding any glitter fleck to the epoxy, you need to add it according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Start with the edges of the garage to cut in the epoxy paint using a paintbrush. If you have drywall in your garage, you may want to use painter's tape to prevent the epoxy from getting onto the walls.
- Once the room is cut in, you can use the long-handled roller to roll on the epoxy. Start on one end and work your way towards an exit so you don't paint yourself into a corner. Use an even amount of epoxy on the floors so it's all evenly distributed and you don't have any high or low spots that could potentially crack or peel later down the road.
- Allow the epoxy to dry thoroughly before anyone steps or drives on the garage floor. The paint needs to set before it can be driven on.
If you are looking for a clean look for your garage floor, you should consider using an epoxy coating for your floor. Hire a professional company to epoxy your floor for you to ensure it is done correctly and to prevent any issues with your floor such as bubbling or peeling. If you aren't up to the task, hire a professional to get the job done.
For more information, contact a local company, like Tillotson Enterprise Inc.